Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bones Season 5 Finale - "The Beginning in the End"



SPOILERS: Thursday's episode

Sorry for the delay, but to be honest, I wasn't really driven to write this review. It was a good episode, a cute episode, a lovable episode - but not a great episode. This episode was so hyped up as "the one that change everything," but to be honest, compare it to the season 1 or season 3 finales and it just doesn't hold its own.

The case was a good fit for the topics they wanted to cover, though not exactly one where I was focused on "whodunnit." Honestly, I didn't really care too much, I was more interested in what everyone did to solve it. I thought Angela's program was a really cool idea (a bit nerdy, yes) and I always like hearing Sweets and Hodgins at work. Daisy was neurotically annoying and adorable as always, she's really grown on me since season 4.

If there's one thing I got out of this episode, it's that Billy Gibbons is the man [Image]. He makes Hodgins and Sweets STEAL A CAR. He can apparate and terrify everyone except Angela. He can get past guard dogs without needing Sweets to sound like a cat. He then gives Hodgins said car. He convinces people that in real life he is actually Michaela Conlin's father (the actress who plays Angela). I mean, can he get any cooler?!

Ok, I've said why it was good. Can I get to why it wasn't great now?

I was promised drama. I was promised something I never saw coming. I was promised B&B emotions that had never been seen before.

There's nothing dramatic about everyone going away for a year. Really.

Ok, so yes, they're going to be apart. Sweets and Daisy, that actually hurt. And it's one thing if Brennan leaves for a year, or if Booth leaves. But both having somewhere to go? Ehh, not sure if I'm feeling as bad anymore. I mean, and then on top of it, Hodgins and Angela just decide to run away for a year. Its too perfect - life doesn't work like that at all. It just felt far too set up to really get to me.

But it did give us two wonderful scenes: 1) Booth in military uniform and 2) Hodgins at the airport. The highlight of this episode, really, was Hodgins giving Brennan the guide to Indonesian wildlife, and Brennan responding "I love you too." THAT was believable and made me go awwwwwwww.

Sorry this is so short, but unfortunately that's really all I have to say about this episode.

~ Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I agree. This finale was not up to the usual Bones standards. That said, they really seem to be setting things up so that next season is the last season. Do you feel that, too, or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so - after season 4, Fox did something pretty extreme and renewed Bones for two more seasons at once. Since they were guaranteed a season after this one, my guess is that the producers decided to use it as a chance to develop a story over a longer than usual period of time.

    Season 6 is going to be really really different, but I don't think its the end. I am excited to see how everyone reunites and what clicks and what doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree... after watching I was like meh it was a nice wrap up and I got a little excited for next season, but other than that it didn't evoke much emotion. Also if I hadn't followed it up with the Grey's Anatomy finale (most terrifying television experience of my life!), I might have been more satisfied with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, poor Bradley, I hear watching that GA episode requires heavy amounts of ice cream and grief counseling. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete