Monday, July 19, 2010

Covert Affairs - "Pilot"

SPOILERS: Really? Do I need to even say it?

As I've already said more than a few times, if you're a James Bond fan, you need to be watching this show. I was totally uninterested up until a day before the premiere, when I saw a blurb about one of the character's (Auggie). When the night of the premiere came I didn't decide until 9:58 that I was going to watch it, mostly because Warehouse 13 had been a huge disappointment and I didn't want my night to end on a bad note. Totally a fantastic decision on my part. Go me.

(Unless otherwise cited, pics are courtesy of usanetwork.com)

First point of business, general setup/premise of the show:

On a rather serious note, this show really does bring up some interesting questions about double standards for men and women. I recently re-watched Goldfinger, and while still a great film, I was surprised at just how misogynistic it was (especially the scene between Pussy Galore and Bond in the barn; though considered seductive, it's practically rape). [Image] Especially after watching the Eureka premiere, I realized how quietly permeative the idea that male dominance to the point of contempt for females is still considered an attractive trait. So I found it extremely interesting that at first Annie's sexual confidence in the first few scenes bothered me. That's right, I'll admit it; I caught myself being sexist. And then I took a step back, thought about how much that didn't bother me when it was a guy, gave myself a good scolding, and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the episode. Still, I find it very very curious, and I'd like to hear from other people who have watched the premiere if they noticed the same thing.

Now on to the fun stuff - I knew I was hooked from Auggie's first scene where he describes the CIA. Unlike normal shows where you have a suspension of disbelief over the fact that everyone is young and gorgeous and has relationships with each other, here we are given justification for 2, if not all 3. And I bought it.  The large amount of young hires is in fact true, if not for the same reasons - the large amount of baby boomer retiree's means there are a ton new, less experienced workers (though I wouldn't use the statistic of 50%). And I totally believe that in some universe, the CIA encourages in-house dating. Interestingly, the USA network claims on their FAQ page that this policy is real - anyone know for sure? Mostly, I just love the line Joan had in the middle of the episode: 

Arthur: Why can't you just be a normal CIA wife?
Joan: Because I'm not a CIA wife, I'm a wife who works for the CIA.

And finally, I must congratulate the writers for this show already. Though I'll talk about Auggie more later, Annie and Auggie's dialouge could easily have slipped into the horrible tv cliche realm of "guy and girl who are friends but don't realize they are perfect for each other and end up looking longingly at each other every other episode." Instead, they have already built the beginnings of a wonderful friendship, and a successful "business" partnership, while still being believable, fun, and emotional. Bravo.

Now, onto the characters:


Annie: Not bad for a role which is usually pretty cliche. Confident, good at what she does - but in a distinct, "I'm not a deus ex machina, I'm well trained" kind of way. She's funny, listens to some band that sounds indy enough that I don't know whether it's made up or obscure, and she seems, all things aside, normal. She has first day jitters! And she has bathroom cryfests! And at no point do I ever sense melodrama, just very relatable intense emotions. And there's something about how she acts when undercover - unlike some actors who are good at other roles within a show because they're, well, actors, she manages to convince me that she's still a CIA agent who is good at, and enjoys, acting a part. I hope it's a continuing trend.

Auggie: LOVE. If I hadn't made it clear enough by now, I think he's fantastic. Played by Christopher Gorham (who you may know as Henry from Ugly Betty....yeah, very different [Image]) he takes on a tough character and really delivers. I'm fascinated by how convincingly he acts blind; it must be so difficult to maintain that unfixed gaze, timing his reactions to sounds instead of movements, but he totally delivers. His character is well written; his condition is part of the show, but in no way hinder's him or keeps us from treating him like any other character. He cracks jokes about it, has all his extremely cool gadgets, but at the end of the day he's just a charming, smart, and intelligent person.

And the best part? No sexual tension between him and Annie so far. He's straight, he picks up women in bars, but his and Annie's friendship seems headed well in the direction of purely platonic. And that doesn't bum me out in the least. I'm extremely excited, in fact, to see a partnership of a woman and man who are both normal, socially functional people, who get along great, give each other advice, crack jokes, and have fun adventures, but never show any signs of getting together.

Danielle: Whoa. It's "Cold Hearted Bitch" from House...I mean Amber. Or, on a more obscure note, whoa, it's Tessa from Bones. Points to anyone who knows that one. For once, she's playing the clueless kind-hearted civilian sister. And you know what? I like her. I hope she doesn't get stuck in the corner of accidental case-solver (like Alexis in Castle) or family member who-must-be-kept-from-knowing-Annie's-secret (like Ellie in Chuck).

Ben Mercer: Ah, the mysterious boyfriend who is the CIA's real reason for bringing in Annie. Dare I say predictable? Clearly I watch too many procedurals and spy shows/movies. Well, I'll hold judgment until we know what his deal is.

And finally, the story:

Awwwww. Anyone's first day at work is filled with nerves and mistakes. In a weird way, the whole thing was very easy to relate too. When I realized she didn't grab the phone when running from the hotel, my first thought was "noooooooooooo go back go back please realize you left it." Thankfully her forgetfulness led to that wonderful scene between her and the FBI guy (a girl's got a right to recover her shoes from a crime scene), concluded with Auggie answering the "call girl agency's" phone number.

However, my favorite scene of the pilot? Auggie, Conrad, and Annie in the bar helping Auggie pick up a girl.

Auggie: [Annie runs off] "But how will I get home?" [Hears girl laugh] [head turn and smile] "Hi, did you go to Boston College? ... I'd lend you my LSAT study guide, but unfortunately it's in Braille."

A close second would be the simultaneous interrogation of Annie and Auggie by the FBI guy. Annie, again pretending to be a call girl, makes him so uncomfortable, it's hilarious. And Auggie...

Auggie (pretending to be a john): "I wanted to see the body."
FBI: "But your blind."
Auggie: "What are you, sightist?"

Overall, a very promising pilot. I look forward to seeing the next episode on Tuesday!

~ Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment