Thursday, December 16, 2010

Monday Night Mid-Season Finales

SPOILERS: Chuck, House, Castle

IT'S SNOWING!!!!

Ah, the tragedy that is mid-season break. Chuck, House, and Castle are all done for this year. Castle will be back as soon as January 3rd but the other two won't be back until January 17th. But they did have the decency to end on different weeks so I'm not just stuck with tons of shows on one week and none anytime else. So this is technically my review of Monday November 22th, 29th and December 6th.

Some of these are a bit scant, apologies, I went more for my general opinion rather than details as these are end of the season.

Episode of the Week(s?): Either "Chuck versus the Leftovers" or Castle's "Last Call"

*************************
Monday November 22
*************************

Chuck, "Chuck versus Phase Three": I believe that the proposed title for this episode was probably "Sarah versus Her Intimacy Issues" or "Sarah versus the Every Bad Guy in the World." The blond she-male [below] got to really show off in this episode, where she goes almost rouge in while attempting to save Chuck's life. Though, honestly, not the wisest move telling everyone you meet that you're looking for your boyfriend. The scene with her talking to Chuck was sweet, and not as sappy as I expected, but I think that's not the correct way to stop a lobotomy...



Speaking of Chuck, you know the dude is messed up when you hallucinate Lester in your bed. And also, he got rather lucky. I have to say, if I knew it would definitely work, I would totally go for the lobotomy option first instead of putting it off for phase 3 - also, I don't think a lobotomy is one of those stop 98% of the way and no harm done. I think it means 98% of that section of your brain is gone. But what do I know about removing a secret intelligence computer from your brain?

Best moments of the episode: Either the robotic carpet, the point where the woman says "ah Mister Casey, you're usual" after Casey mentions that the location is Thailand is home to the scum of the earth, or the adorableness of picturing a mini-Ellie going "Knock, knock" "I'm here!"

I give the episode an B+.

House, "Small Sacrifices":
"Ritual is what happens when we run out of rational" - the basic statement of this episode. House has touched on religion before, with Amish patients, or Jewish one's who won't be treated on the Sabbath, and every time I'm always impressed. Ditto on this one. Though I have to say, crucifixition? Ick. Really ick. Almost squick.

Yet given the dramatic nature of the argument, the case itself was rather predictable. House tricks him, he's treated, he recovers but is really pissed at House.


The personal side of the story wasn't vastly different either [above]. We see a spin on the usual catching a woman lying about her age bit with Cuddy, Chase is a player as always, Cuddy turns out to have been married before, eh. I did feel rather sad over the Wilson/Sam fall out, though I don't think that's the last we've ever seen of that. Though once a relationship falls apart for a second time, both parties are going to be even more on the offensive when they meet back up.

Otherwise, there were two funny bits:
  • House and Wilson do a Bond and evil German exchange
  • Zoom in on House and ... "ignore him, he just got an idea"
So, predictable but good, I'll give it a B.

*****************************
Monday November 29
*****************************

Chuck, "Chuck versus the Leftovers": First off, we must acknowledge the awesome of Mama B saying "come with me if you want to live." I've never even seen any of the Terminator movies, but I know how great that is.

Now this episode had two layers of juicy edge-of-seat drama. Of course, one of those is the continual mystery of what exactly the mysterious glowy green box was; it seems Papa B had one mystery he needed a convenient doctor daughter to solve before rebooting (?) Chuck for the gajillionth time.



The second was much better. Volkoff it turns out is in love with Frost, and decides to accompany her to Thanksgiving Leftover Dinner. And plays charades And threatens to shoot them all after Awesome [above] manages to smuggle a gun between houses while borrowing sugar. The scenes of him getting along so well with Ellie are both hilarious and disturbing, and the episode actually did manage to keep me anxious and tense.

And I love the dramatic Trans-Siberian Orchestra music.

I give it an A-.

**************************
Monday December 6
**************************

Castle "Last Call": Castle is a very relaxed kind of procedural, and that shows in what they choose to use as their final episode of the season. The storyline of a secret cache of famous Prohibition-era Whiskey was a fun, casual, somewhat ludicrous plot for a murder that was pulled off flawlessly by the boyish charm of Nathan Fillion. The goth girl storyline with Alexis was cute, didn't really relate to the case, and I didn't care. Though I might not have more to say about the episode, it was really because this ep was so easy going that I just wanted to kick up my feet and just enjoy it without picking it apart. And the end singing of Piano Man [below]? Wonderful. I hope the entire NYPD can sing that well.



Favorite scene: When Castle nearly strangles the twenty something web billionaire for mixing it and tossing out the bottle. Have you seen Firefly? You don't piss off Mal.

I give it an A-.


~ Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment