Thursday, June 24, 2010

Glee Episodes 21/22 - "Funk" and "Theatricality"

SPOILERS: Well, the episodes for one. Plus a small Season 2 casting spoiler at the end

Ta da! A post! How awesome. It's been a while, and I misplaced all my notes from these two episodes (that's right, I take notes, just for you guys). SO, this is going to be a bit...well...shaky because I'll only be able to write about the things that stood out for me. Also, since I have so much to catch up, I'm combining both episodes into one review. And also, I'm skipping pics for these, since I want to just get them posted - I may go back later and toss some in. Let's get started...

(By the way, I end the post with the casting spoiler, so just stop reading when you see the warning if you don't want to read it)

Choreography: Overall, good. Fun, not over the top during the competition. But the dancing pregnant girls behind Quinn in "Funk"? NO. Please don't ever make me sit through anything like that ever again, oh Glee gods. Quinn's singing was absolutely beautiful, heart wrenching even. But there's these girls behind her who dance like, well, like professional dancers wearing fake pregnancy bellies. They weren't believable, they weren't funny, they simply seemed to be mocking the very message Quinn was trying to get across. It was horrific. And saying that a month later means it wasn't just a right-then reaction - I'm still bothered by it. 

The competition results: Huh. They actually surprised me. I thought they might take second. I was pretty sure they wouldn't win. But I certainly never predicted what happened in that judge's room - Josh Groban and Olivia Newton John were hilarious. And Sue's change of heart? Surprising, believable and well hidden from the rest of the world. That second where they showed her filling in her score card - absolutely delicious. And speaking of Sue - seeing her broken down and built up in Funk was wonderful. Her sister showed us her inner humanity, but I think it was the first time I saw Sue as a real human being.


Also, small note - last time I checked, getting third still meant "placing" in a competition. Just saying.

Beth's birth: My god, I will never listen to Bohemian Rhapsody the same way EVER again. I haven't been able to figure out quite yet if I suffered emotional damage. It was actually a really excellent choice - but at the time brain just couldn't process it. I remember being really pleased with how the whole thing was filmed - the look on Puck's face, Quinn cussing him out, her mother showing up...it all really worked. And at the end, with Idina Menzel's character choosing to adopt the child. So much could've gone wrong, it could've been cheesy or stupid, but I think it was very deftly done. I'm only sad because it means we probably won't be seeing Idina again very soon.

Couples: Honestly? I don't care. I don't care about Rachel and Finn. I kinda care about Puck and Quinn, just cause I've discovered I'm a crazy Quinn fan over the last few episodes. Will and Emma? To be honest, as much as I like Mr. Schu, he treats Emma bad. He's basically ignored her for the last few episodes, and now he wants her back? I don't care. Good for Emma dating her dentist. She deserves to be happy.

* Aforementioned Cast Spoiler Alert *


And speaking of Emma's new fling, guess who's playing her dentist? That's right, he's already been cast. He's none other than the one, the only.....JOHN STAMOS. That's right, Uncle Jesse, or as some may know him, the ex-husband of the woman who played Mystique in the X-Men movies, is joining Glee. And before you panic, yes, he's got the credentials. He's sung with the Beach Boys, and performed in three Broadway performances to date: Cabaret, Nine, and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Also, the revival of Bye Bye Birdie, which I would care about except.....well, it's Bye Bye Birdie. So I am massively looking forward to what has to be an epic John Stamos/Matthew Morrison sing off. And until that happens, well, Emma's doing pretty darn well.

~ Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Ok, this is from Bradley, from a long time ago (cause I fail), who got an error trying to post something here:

    1. glad you are posting again
    2. glee has gotten less funny, realization due to watching earlier episodes before sytycd
    4.who's your favorite on sytycd?
    5. i remember that episode of full house with the beach boys
    6. glad you are posting again!
    ~Bradley :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now my response:

    1. me too
    2. I'm not sure about that - I know that I've become more adjusted to the humor in the show, making everything a little less new. I do need to re-watch earlier episodes. I can definitely say the Kristen Chennoweth was funnier in her first appearance, but I'm not sure if I think that trend holds for the series in general.
    3. ??? where's 3?
    4. That's tough, but thanks to Macavity, the Mystery Cat, I'm going to have to say Billy. I'm a bit over Kent and Jose's adorableness. I was really a fan of Christina but... :(
    5. me too!
    6. i have failed again - but thanks to a few SyFy premieres, I will be back on track due to a need for massive venting.

    ReplyDelete